Monday 17 January 2011

No Riding this weekend

I didn't manage to go riding this weekend as I had nobody to come with me although I did get down to the farm Saturday afternoon anyway. Instead of riding, I spent the afternoon running around after a lot of goats.  I've actually been just waiting for the opportunity to spend a bit of time with the goats as I think they are really cute.


My youngest son with the goats, last summer.

When I arrived they were just about to start vaccinating them so joined in herding the goats up so the farmer could grab hold of them and vaccinate them.  There were a lot of them so this took some time and they weren't overly keen but to be fair they made less fuss than my children or possibly even myself when faced with the prospect of being jabbed with a needle.  Then,  I watched whilst the ones that were a bit lame had their feet trimmed.


Last order of the day was milking.  I think there are about seven hundred goats to be milked twice a day which takes sometime.  The milking parlour can milk about forty goats at a time so more rounding up goats and then attaching them to the milking machine.  I actually got to have a go at this.  Brought back some memories of breastfeeding my two kids which I am glad to say they are too old for now.  Spraying the teats with antiseptic after milking to avoid mastitis and then sending them out and getting the next lot in. 

I was surprised at how much fun I had and it certainly cleared away the hangover.  I'm not sure the novelty wouldnt wear off if I had to get up at six every morning to do it but I enjoyed the novelty.  However, I think the smell of goats is even worse than the smell of horses and the first thing I had to do when I got home was strip my clothes off and put them in the washing machine before jumping in the bath for a nice long soak.

1 comment:

  1. I love the smell of horses!! :-) You have won an award. Come visit!

    ReplyDelete