Monday 13 June 2011

Beach Riding

Our group cantering on Newgale beach
I've just come back from the most fabulous riding ever.  A bit sore and achy but was worth every bit of it.  I went off to Nolton in Pembrokeshire, West Wales.  There were beautiful beaches, which were huge and the riding was fantastic.  I went with some people I met through trekking and a minibus of 13 of us arrived in Pembrokeshire Friday evening where we stayed in a lovely house with eight ensuite bedrooms and a vast living room and kitchen.  The weekend started with a trip to the local pub for dinner and drinks.  It was convieniently located about 2 minutes from the pub which was ideal.  The guy from the stables came down the pub to chat to us and allocate horses for the next day.  I was a little bit apprehensive to be assigned a horse called Thunder although I shouldnt have worried he was lovely.

Me and Thunder cantering on Newgale beach

Due to the tides, we had an early start the next morning 9am at the stables.  We collected our horses and set off for Newgale Beach, about a twenty minute walk on horseback, where we spent two hours cantering up and down the beach.  I was advised my my riding friends to be honest and to make sure I asked for a quiet horse.  At first, having been initially put in the slow group with another relative beginner, I was worried I had played it down too much after a very very short and steady first canter.  However, once they saw we were comfortable with that, we joined another group although still slower than some of the others (thankfully) and had some lovely canters.  My horse was great and although I was worried I would either end up with a horse that was so slow I struggled to keep up or one that was too fast and strong for me to handle, they seemed to have found the perfect horse for me.  The sun was shining and it was absolutely superb.  I have never had the opportunity to do so much cantering, even on the few hacks I have done.  The beach was fantastic and it was so flat and the canter on the sand was a lovely and smooth motion.  It really gave me the opportunity to concentrate on my position, rather than worrying about the horse stumbling on uneven ground and holding onto the mane, just in case.  I didn't actually manage a canter in the water the first day as we were advised that sometimes the horses spook at a wave so we would be better off stayin

Thunder and I paddling in the sea
 g on the sand unlike the more advanced groups.

After we returned to the stables, we went off for a pub lunch before the afternoon ride which would take us into the woodland and the valley where there were some bridle paths and through some fields.  Talk at lunch turned to the cross country jumps in the valley - a narrow bride path with six low jumps.  The rest of my group persuaded me that I should give these a try even though i had never jumped before as they were very small, but when we went back to the stables they said they wouldn't let me try the jumps.  I was happy to take their advice but at least because they told me no I felt I was being sensible rather than chickening out of something I might have loved.  I ended up in a very small group with one other trekker and two guides which was great although I did feel like we had a big label on our backs saying crap rider: needs 1:1 supervision.  I was surprised, I found the afternoon a bit more challenging as it was more the type of riding I am used to although not quite as many canters normally. Going into the field from the road, my horse spooked momentarily, at some ballons someone had tied to the fence by the road.  After he had calmed down we rode through some fields, where we cantered around the edge, splitting up into small groups to ensure we all got a decent canter.  If the group is too big, you don't seem to get much of a canter at the back so this was definitely a good move.   Then in the valley, the groups diverged in different directions as some people went off to jump and the rest of us cantered round the various woodland bridlepaths before going into some big fields for a canter up and across the fields. canter felt very bouncy after riding on the sand and the cantering in the field was very different to the bridle path through the woods but after a canter or two in each I quickly got used to it, although my horse was being a bit lazy and I could have done with a crop.  This was soon remedied in the wood, where the guide found the perfect stick.  Just holding it seemed to make all the difference, although I used it a few times.

After returning from the stables, we drank champagne and ate strawberries before heading off to shower before dinner at another pub.

Sunday morning, we awoke to persistent and heavy rain but this didnt deter us from our last ride of the weekend. Off to Druidstone Beach and some more time in the valley.  Today. we split up into groups of four of our choice with a guide.  Druidstone Beach was slightly smaller partly but only due to the tide of the day and rockier than Newgale Beach.  We had lots more canters across the beach and tried my first canter in the sea, although it didnt last very long as my horse wasn't keen and ended up on the sand eight foot wide of the  the rest of my group rather than directly behind as I was meant to be.  It was great fun despite the wind and rain although I didnt relish the sand blowing in my eyes and mouth as we cantered into the wind.  Having got thoroughly soaked, despite our waterproofs, we headed off to the valley to find some shelter.  We had a few more canters through the valley before a quick trip down to the beach opposite our accomodation to wash the horses feet in the sea.  The rest of the group then headed off for a last canter through the fields.  I was told by the guide, I should skip the last bit as the fields were pretty slippery and along with a couple of others who were fed up of the rain we trotted back to the stables quarter of an hour or so before the rest.  Whilst I was a little disappointed to miss the last canter, I was soaking wet and could feel the water squelching in my boots despite having a pair of chaps over the top and my ankles were killing me.  I decided,against arguing, because I had managed the whole weekend without falling off and didnt want to tempt fate in the last ten minutes.

Cantering in the rain at Druidstone Beach
Back at the house, we all stripped off our soaking wet gear.  Even my underwear was soaking despite several layers of clothes under my waterproof jacket.  The showers were luckily very hot and very powerful and after a quick change, we headed off for a three course sunday roast to debrief the weekend before the journey home.  Without doubt, it was a fabulous weekend and I was chuffed to hear the stables had told our group leader they were impressed with my riding after having only been riding a year with no lessons.

1 comment:

  1. Hi JanLou,

    That sounds fantastic, what a set up! A girl I ride with has been riding holidays in Wales a few times and raves about it. I wonder if its the same place, maybe?

    I always do what you do and say, 'give me a safe horse' and then wonder if I have overplayed it!

    I have been on a hack once without saying this, though, and spent the whole time trying not to get bucked off....I think we have the right strategy!
    Antonia

    ReplyDelete