Monday 30 August 2010

Pony Trekking in the Brecon Beacons.

View of the Llanthony Valley
After returning from Mexico, I set out to find somewhere more local to go pony trekking.  Living in Cardiff, the Brecon Beacons and the Black Mountains are only an hour’s drive and the perfect place for a day out.  I discovered Trevelog Trekking Centre; an absolutely fabulous family run centre situated in the Llanthony Valley at the edge of the Brecon Beacons.  It is a wonderful place to go trekking with a friendly atmosphere, breathtaking scenery and beautiful horses too - all sturdy Welsh Cobs, perfect for the steep mountainous terrain. 

Although, I did some pony trekking that summer, this was curtailed when I got pregnant later that year. At the start of this year, I decided I wanted to try pony trekking again. Two children later, my boys are finally at an age where, I have a little free time again.  I booked on to the first trek of the season, at the end of March.  After an impatient couple of weeks wait, it finally arrived.  I was delighted to find Vicky, who runs the trekking centre remembered me from my brief foray into pony trekking eight years earlier. 

My friend and I set off on our first trek.  Being either mad or optimistic, we booked in for a full day’s trek which consisted of four hours riding with a stop at the pub for lunch.  I was riding a lovely placid but responsive pony called Bounty and my friend had an equally reliable horse called Rose.  I believe the correct term is bombproof pony, just what we needed, as virtually complete beginners.  As we headed out of the farm and down the lane to the bridle path, I felt surprisingly calm and confident.  Within ten to fifteen minutes, the trek leaders had us rising to the trot, albeit while holding tightly to the saddle. Although not perhaps the most accomplished or elegant rising trot you have seen, it was sufficient for us to make the most of the day. 

Me riding Bounty

After stopping, in the river for the horses to take a drink, we set off up the side of the hill to the forestry path.  The path up was quite steep, almost like big steps in part.  As the horses graciously plodded up the rocky path, we were left relieved that it was they and not us doing the hard work.  We passed large numbers of sheep and their newborn lambs as we rode through the fields and saw clusters of wild bluebells.  Onto the forestry track and we had a few good long trots, whilst some of the more experienced riders hung back for a canter before starting our descent down a narrow lane.  Halfway down, we dismounted and walked the horses the rest of the way as the path became so steep and slippery.  This was a welcome opportunity to stretch our now aching muscles, before lunch.  We tied the horses up in the pub car park and by now starving hungry; we decamped to the pub for refreshments and a bite to eat.

The Queens Head Inn Cwmyoy Abergavenny 


After lunch, we set off down the country lane that follows the bottom of the valley for the eight mile return trip.  Trotting most of the way home, we arrived back at the farm at four o’clock, tired but exhilarated.

After that first day, I was hooked.  I have managed to go pony trekking virtually every week since then and my riding has progressed considerably.  Although in all honesty, I could not call myself anything other than a beginner, I can now comfortably rise to the trot without holding on, and enjoy a canter.  That said if my horse is feeling lazy and does not automatically follow the horse in front into a canter, my efforts to kick him into a canter are not always successful and sometimes we don’t quite get out of trot.  However, I must have improved as I have been told I am sufficiently competent to join the rest of the regulars on the annual trail ride next week.  I am looking forward to it with much excitement and just a tiny bit of nerves at being the least experienced rider going.  

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trail ride! And you can stop at a pub for lunch?! Wish we could do that here! Congratulations on cantering. They sound like good ponies. Are you going to be taking lessons or are you going to be taking trail rides every week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We only have eight weeks left of the trekking season left and I will try and go as often as I can on a full or half day trek. You can trek two days running whenever but they only do a trail ride where we leave the horses somewhere else overnight to allow us to go places we couldn't normally do reach in one day a couple of times a year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow great blog and I love this post....that trail ride sounds heavenly! I agree with Wolfie that a trail ride with a pub stop sounds amazing! I live in Slovakia and wish we had something like this here. Maybe I will try to organize one, who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a pretty great day out and at £40 a day Trevelog (www.ponytrekking.net) are pretty competitively priced. Off on the last trek of the year this weekend I think as it gets pretty cold in the winter so not so good for trekking.

    ReplyDelete