Tuesday 24 August 2010

Pony Trekking in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

My pony trekking trip in Puerto Vallarta is a day I remember clearly even though it is nearly ten years ago now.  Having never ridden before, other than a couple of pony rides on a lead rein as a very small child, this is when I discovered the joys of pony trekking and horse riding.

I delighted to discover that the horseback trip into the mountains offered by the tour operator was open to all, regardless of riding experience or more importantly lack of it, so eagerly signed myself up.


The day started early because of the hot weather and we arrived at the ranch where we were given hats and allocated horses before a brief session on the basics of riding.  We were riding Western style and the horses were neck reined rather than using a bit, a subtly that was lost on me at the time having never ridden a horse with a bit.  I was more interested in the saddle horn.  I thought it was there for me to hold onto to stop me falling off, although I understand the true function is somewhere to put your lasso.  Unlike the holidaymakers, our guides were wearing cowboy hats and holsters with a gun and looked like the real McCoy.  When I asked what the guns were for, wondering if there was any dangerous wildlife up in the mountains to worry about, they replied it was just in case we met any bandits in the mountains.  I thought they were joking but in hindsight I’m sure they weren’t.

As I set off near the back of the trek, my horse had other ideas and decided to break into a run and over take the other horses to get nearer the front.  I actually think it was probably only a trot but cue a scream from me and a swift change of horse to a more placid mount which suited me fine.

The highlight of the trip was when we reached the river and they took the saddle off one of the horses so we could have a go at bare back riding in the river.  Following this, we swum across the river to sit and soak in the natural hot springs which felt glorious despite the awful smell of sulphur.



Sadly it was then time to return to the ranch but before they sent us packing we all sat down to a well deserved meal of Steak and Chips.  I left the ranch determined that this was not going to be a one off experience.

2 comments:

  1. Hello JanLou! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to reading more of your adventures with horses.

    ReplyDelete