Saturday 23 October 2010

A Horse of My Own (well, for the winter anyway).

I have been wondering what to do in terms of riding, when the trekking centre shuts for the winter.  I had toyed with the idea of lessons or maybe trying another trekking centre which doesn't close for the winter but wasn't entirely sure about either.  One of my friends who works at the trekking centre had arranged to borrow a horse for the winter and after a few conversations, we decided it might be fun if someone else had a horse down in Cardiff with her.  I was unsure whether I could committ to looking after a horse as my employment situation is a bit up in the air at the moment and I will have to look for a new job soon.  However, my friend kindly offered that if I borrowed a horse too, she would feed it and let it out for me in the week each morning and bring him in the evenings.  With two small children, mornings are always a nightmare and there would be no way I could make the hour round trip to the stable and back before the school run each day so this seemed too good an opportunity to pass up.  The owner of the trekking centre very kindly agreed to loan me a horse and we agreed on Black Sam who I have ridden in the past and has a lovely temperament and is suitable for the kids to ride too.  He is very forgiving of a new rider.  He is the ultimate bombproof pony and not the most forward going horse so I feel confident that he will not take off with me when I don't want him to.

My first ride in the schooling ring with Black Sam
Black Sam arrived on Monday night and I have been really excited. Perfect timing as I have twelve days off work, starting last Wednesday, so lots of opportunities to go horse riding.   He seems to be settling in well and I have finally learnt how to tack up and I am learning a bit more about feeding and grooming.  I had a frustrating day yesterday, as he would not trot for me and was being very slow.  He is still finding his feet in his new surroundings and he isn't used to riding in a schooling ring or riding out on his own without following another horse, so it is a learning curve for us both.  I think he is also testing me a little, as well.  I am hoping that having my own horse to ride as often as I like will mean that I learn a lot about riding this winter as there is no substitute for time in the saddle so I have been told. 

The new stables seems really nice.  The people are lovely and very helpful.  There is a schooling ring to practice in, fields for grazing and a few that I can ride in as well.  We are also very close to some lovely countryside and forestry trails.  It is not quite as stunning as riding in the Brecon Beacons perhaps, but certainly lovely and much better than having to ride on the road with traffic all the time.

I had another ride today and he was great, much more responsive and we had a canter in the field.  I managed to canter without holding onto the mane which is my normal technique.  I think, even a few hours over the last few days, riding round the school without stirrups has paid off as I feel much more balanced.  I am still struggling to remember everything as I have a tendency to concentrate on one thing and forget other important things like keeping my position.  Yesterday, I was kicking a lot to get him to trot, abd I found my feet slipping back and myself falling forward, a bit too often when he finally did trot.  Today, everything seemed to come together and despite a fair bit of rain, we had a lovely day and I got to do lots of horse riding.  Looking forward to a hot bath now tonight as my muscles are feeling it, riding him in the schooling ring seems to be much harder than trekking on my muscles, possibly because I am actually starting to ride him rather than just sit on him.

Look forward to following my progress through the blog.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! How exciting!!! He's beautiful....mind you, I am partial to big, black horses. :-) If I can give you one piece of advice; clean his feet before and after you ride. :-) There is a great blog on horse foot health http://barefoothorseblog.blogspot.com and Sophie is actually located in the U.K. and know about the challenges that horses face there. I am looking forward to reading about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know his feet are very important and that is the next thing my friend is going to teach me - how to lift his feet and check them / clean them. Checked out the barefoothorse blog you recommended. I have also been warned not to allow anyone to trim the feathers on his feet but they are so lovely why would you want to.

    ReplyDelete