Saturday 18 September 2010

Mastering the Canter

Finally made it up to Trevelog for a days ride, after what seemed like a very long three weeks during which I was definitely having withdrawal symptoms..  Weather was lovely and sunny, but not too hot.  Can't ask for more in September.  There was a surprise when I got to the stables.  Two new 17 hand thoroughbred horses, an unusual sight in the valley where the horses are predominantly welsh cobs.  I am glad to say though I was not riding one of them, and was more than happy with Apollo who I enjoyed riding last month.  Don't think I am quite ready for an ex-racehorse and it is a lot further to fall from a horse that size.
A slightly blurry photo of the new thoroughbred taken from horseback
So anyway, set off up the mountain for a ride over the top.  After a long haul up, we finally reached the top.  After the horses had recovered we had a long trot along the ridge.  Finally, it was time for a canter.  Surprisingly, only five of the fifteen of us held back for the canter. Although, I think some of the others intended to canter but were unable to hold their horses back and ended up trotting along behind the beginners instead.  Wasn't my best start to cantering for the day as managed to nearly lose my reins on the first canter but somehow managed to recover them and completed the canter without any mishaps.  It's lovely cantering along the top, but a bit unnerving sometimes as the ground can be uneven and when the horse steps in a dip, it is a bit too easy to lose your balance but a good handful of mane seems to do the trick and I avoid falling off.

Along the way, I spot my friends new foal - only three weeks old it is so cute and we pass several wild horses on the mountain who look very bemused to see the horses with riders on.  We also spotted some beautiful toadstools.  They were the quintessential toadstool, red with white spots like you see in the fairy tales.  Very beautiful and very poisonous, known I believe as the fly agaric..  There were also copious amounts of blackberries and elderberries.  Unfortunately, too difficult to pick from horseback though.

Wild horse on the mountain

We reached the lane and dismounted to lead the horses down the steep slope to the pub for lunch.  After lunch, one of the ladies decided she had had enough and couldn't manage the afternoon trek back to the farm.  Her horse, Floss, a beautiful Hanoverian cross, is very placid and knows the trek well  so headed back with the rest of the trek, riderless.  She was a star and didn't even need to be led just followed along with the rest of the herd, even when we got on to the road for the last haul.  We did get some funny looks from walkers along the way, who seemed to think her rider had fallen off and been left behind.

Apollo and I, ready for our afternoon trek after an hour at the pub.

On the way back, we headed up to the forestry path for some canters.  I was chuffed because I managed the last long canter without holding onto the mane for the first time for more than an a couple of seconds.  I felt so much more in control than with two hands on the reins than with one hand for the reins and one to hold onto the mane.  Although, I'm not sure I would want to try it, on rough ground.  I had a real sense of achievement to think that when I started pony trekking in the Brecon Beacons six months ago, I couldn't even trot without holding onto the saddle and now I managed a decent length canter with sufficiently good balance that I didn't feel the need to hold on.

Arriving back at the farm, it was time to untack and give the horses a well deserved wash down before their dinner.  Horses dealt with, time for a quick cup of tea in the farmhouse before the drive home.  What a fantastic day!

1 comment:

  1. couldn't agree with you more about wanting to avoid Thoroughbreds! def overrated in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete