Wednesday 22 September 2010

Pure Indulgence - A private riding lesson

Was feeling a bit bored and fed up today, so on the spur of the moment I decided to drive over to the riding school today and see if I could have a lesson.  It was pure indulgence because I am already booked to go trekking on Friday and Saturday morning and one hours lesson on a one to one basis cost more than a two hour trek.  However, it was well worth it.  As those of you who have been following me will know, I am slightly ambivalent about riding lessons.   My previous two riding lessons were not the greatest success.  My experience of learning to horse ride has been primarily pony trekking in the mountains.  The horses are not schooled in the same way and do not require leg aids. It is also a much more relaxed environment, because as long as you are safe, there is not the same concern about technique and perfect position etc.

I am so glad I went though.  A one to one lesson was completely different and although I still felt less confident than I do on the trekking horses I felt like I was making progress.  I found it really hard to concentrate in a group lesson because I was worrying about where the other horses were and there seemed to be a lot more time not doing very much.  The lesson was a nice combination of some work in the ring and time in the paddock.  The horse was a lot harder to get moving than the trekking horses which just follow the lead horse but we were in the ring on our own.  I am still finding trotting around the ring tricky so we concentrated on trotting in a straight line and changing to a walk for the corner and then trotting again.  I struggled a bit to get my horse trotting until I realised the reins were a bit tight.  Wouldn't bother the trekking horses but it made all the difference when I figured it out.  When she was trotting better, so was I.  As the lesson went on, I was definitely more in control, telling her when I wanted to turn rather than her deciding to cut the corner.  My horse was nice and I felt comfortable on her although she is slightly less chunky than the welsh cobs I ride.

After half an hour, we went out and had a walk and a little trot down the lane before going into the paddock for another go at trotting.  I was warned that she could go into a canter so to be careful and steer her up the hill if she did.  I started trotting and she went straight into a canter.  At which point, I couldn't decide whether to go with it and enjoy the ride or slow her down because she hadn't been asked to canter and she was meant to be following my instructions.  My indecision nearly lost me my balance and I forgot to keep my heels down and started to fall forward before recovering my position and bringing her to a stand.  Not the most graceful piece of riding, but it didn't scare me and I managed to regain control without any intervention from the riding instructor which left me feeling positive.  I just need to try and remember my position when I am having to steer the horse and assert my authority with her.  It is so much easier when you are following another horse.  I know you still need to steer around long hanging branches etc. but tend to do that just on the reins which is easier than using your legs and trying to keep the right position and give leg aids.

I am feeling now that if I can't go trekking over the winter that I will definitely have a few lessons if not weekly ones.  But having tried several group lessons I think I would rather pay for a half hour private lesson than a one hour group lesson.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, you! You regained control from a canter and brought her to a stand? Fantastic! I started out with private lessons because I was shy. I think I took about 6 or 7 before I felt I was ready for group lessons. Unfortunately, my previous barn had up to 8 participants in group lessons, which meant it was crowded and I couldn't concentrate. Where I am now only allows up to 4 participants per lesson, and in my class I have 2 classmates, which is great. I think it's fab that you are planning on taking lessons through the winter months. You can only benefit from them, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like early stages of addiction haha! sounds like you had a great lesson so congrats to you!!

    ReplyDelete